NEWS & INSIGHTS | podcast
24. Transitioning the North Sea: Insights from Andy Samuel, former Chief Executive of the North Sea Transition Authority
Andy Samuel PhD CBE, former chief executive of the North Sea Transition Authority (NSTA), reflects on the early days of the then Oil and Gas Authority. From its goal to maximise the economic recovery of the UK’s oil and gas, through to its evolution towards a regulator focused on energy transition.
Andy talks about energy integration in the UK Continental Shelf, NSTA’s revised strategy with net zero at its heart, and actions required to remove barriers on investment in the UKCS.
Topics covered in this podcast:
– NSTA’s remit and vision for an integrated energy basin
– Tripartite approach – industry, regulator and government working together to deliver a common goal
– Potential of the UKCS as an energy and carbon abatement resource
– NSTA’s stand on licensing new oil and gas developments
– Mechanisms in place for holding the industry to account on emissions reduction targets
– Net zero test for new developments
– Criticality of CCS in meeting the UK’s emissions targets.
– Industry’s culture transformation
– The scale of investment in renewables vs fossil fuels
– Reflections on COP27
Featuring Andy Samuel PhD CBE, former Chief Executive of the North Sea Transition Authority
Subscribe for the latest updates