NEWS & INSIGHT | podcast
28. The role of local government in Scotland’s net zero journey
In this episode of Transition Talks, Stephen Sheal sat down with Liam Kerr, MSP for North East Scotland and Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Net Zero, Energy and Transport. Together they discuss the key role local governments play in achieving national net zero targets, and the findings of Net Zero, Energy and Transport Committee’s recent report “The role of local government and its cross-sectoral partners in financing and delivering a net-zero Scotland”. Liam explores the main barriers to Scotland reaching its net zero targets at a local level and how they can be overcome.
Topics covered in this podcast:
- The focus of the Net Zero, Energy and Transport Committee’s work
- Key findings contained in the Committee’s report
- The role of local authorities in driving net zero
- The main barriers to net zero at a regional level
- Local government workforce shortages
- The importance of sharing best practices and knowledge across local authorities
- Negative narrative about the oil and gas industry and its impact on attracting new talent
- The importance of cross-party collaboration in addressing the climate emergency
- Scottish Government’s draft Energy Strategy and Just Transition Plan
Download the Net Zero, Energy and Transport Committee’s report here.
Featuring Liam Kerr, MSP for North East Scotland and Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Net Zero, Energy and Transport.
Subscribe for the latest updates