NEWS & INSIGHT | reports
Shetland and North East Scotland Techno Economic Study
Shetland and the North East of Scotland have advantageous geographical location, abundance of renewable resources and a shared industrial legacy of decades of oil and gas operations on which to build energy transition activities.
The purpose of this study is to ensure the greatest value can be identified across each region through strategically considering the technical and economic potential of different low carbon technology options; this supports the development of opportunity-specific business and investment cases.
The study focusses on the following key ambitions:
- Transforming the current dependency on fossil fuels to decarbonise and ensure an affordable renewable energy supply for the local communities
- Enabling offshore oil & gas sector transition to net zero
- Creating renewable energy products, such as hydrogen and associated derivatives, for export at industrial scale by harnessing offshore wind power
- Promoting the re-use of existing infrastructure and to aid the energy transition
- Sustaining thousands of jobs and supply chain opportunities for the local communities
To realise the potential requires strategic thinking and investment into areas that support development and deliver long-term sustainable economic growth to the regions. With this in mind, this study makes nine key recommendations.
Download the study to access the full findings.
Subscribe for the latest updates